Thursday, April 3, 2008

Where do you start?

This has been a dream of mine for many years to write about my experience in ministry or just my journey with Christ, knowing Him more intimate, knowing what He wants for my life. Wow, I really don't know where or how to begin, so I'll just start with where I am currently along this journey and weave into this tread past experiences, miracles of God in my life, good times and definitely a lot of hard times.

Currently I Pastor a small, but growing & vibrant church in The Woodlands, Texas called The River. We run about 125 people overall and we're a little over 4 1/2 years old. This church was started out of our home during a very stressful time in mine and my wife's life. Our daughter had just married her high school sweetheart, which was awesome, but our son was beginning a downhill spiral in his walk with God and his overall choices he was making in high school. During that season the Lord was placing a desire in my heart to begin a church in The Woodlands with a vision to become a large, spirit-filled place of worship where the presence of God was sought after, and where people could grow in their hunger and relationship with Christ. I had been a part of this community (The Woodlands) for some time now, and had visited several churches to get a feel for the spiritual atmosphere around us, when the Lord said to begin a work for Him. I went to my Pastor that I had worked under since 1991 and he was willing to release us and committed to helping us financially and prayerfully for the first year while we began our work.

During that time, I can't honestly say my wife was totally on board with starting. We both were under a lot of stress with our son, and our focus was really directed on how to help him. We battled guilt, confusion, anger, and all of the other emotions that come into play when God has called you to do something for Him that's always bigger than yourself, but you feel so inadequate or unworthy because one of your own is suffering with choices they've made. So, what do you do? Scripture says when you've done all to stand, keep standing! Don't quit, don't give in to the war around you, but fight your way back with one purpose in mind, and that's not even to really get you child back, it's bigger...it's to give glory to God with our lives and allow our selves to become a living sacrifice for the Lord.

I can't explain to you all what I really feel about the Lord, or even how deep of a yearning I have to know Him better. Proofing and re-reading the previous paragraphs stir up feelings I had several years ago, even back when I know He placed His "Call" on my life in the early 80's. Feelings of complete surrender to the will of God. Feelings that cause self examination stirring questions about life, purpose, and meaning. Maybe we've all asked the question: Why am I here? We're here to have fellowship with God. We're here to give glory to Him at all times. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that this life is not about us, it's about the Lord. He purchased us with the blood of His son Jesus Christ. He paid a price for us that no one can match. What he's asked of those who follow Him is a life lived for Him. Many people feel there's no real obligation to serve God or live for Him consistently. They even feel once they've made a commitment to the Lord, that God knows their weaknesses and their inability to live for Him, therefore justifying or excusing themselves from consistent devotion or prayer because of the weakness of their carnal nature. However, something we fail to remember or remind ourself is when someone gives their life to Christ, the Holy Spirit of promise comes to take residence in that life. The Spirit of God becomes our guide, our teacher, and our comforter. The bible says in John 16:13 the Holy Spirit comes to "guide you into all the truth". John 14:6 says Jesus is "the way, the truth, and the life", so the Holy Spirit living in us leads us in Christ. I believe He leads us in every aspect of Christ. We become the Lords treasured vessels that He lives in. What an honor and what a blessing. We live in days that demand a deeper surrender to God's will. Everyone battles the sins of the flesh (mind, will, emotions), but God will always make a way of escape to those who seek Him. I leave you with a quote from a family member. "God reveals the secrets to those who seek Him". Be a seeker of God!

No comments: