Monday, May 5, 2008

We invest in others...Do we invest in ourselves?

This past weekend my wife and I, along with six other couples from our church had the privilege of attending "A weekend to remember" hosted by the ministry of Family Life. This is our second year in a row to attend this conference and we hope to continue attending each year until we see Christ.

One thing we as minister's do very well is invest time and energy into the lives of other families, and one thing we do very poorly is invest time and energy into our own, specifically our marriage. It's one thing to spend time with your children, and quite another to invest in or spend time with your spouse. One thing I have realized as a minister is; I'm more effective for others when my marriage is healthy and flourishing in Christ. My wife and I have had a great marriage for some 27 years now. It hasn't been without struggle, but has been a good marriage. However, three years ago I began to become the man of God that my wife really needed. Preaching, teaching, singing, and leading others to the Lord doesn't qualify me as a man of God. I believe what does is when I become the priest of my home, which demands time spent with my wife. Being a shepherd over her, as well as my kids. Considering her needs and always remembering she needs me as much or more as everyone else does, and that she is honored as my first priority of ministry.

Take time today to bless your spouse. Give your marriage to the Lord and allow Him to build your home. Let Christ and His principles become the foundation of what your home is about. "Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain." Ps. 121:1

No comments: